Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Get started with c#

Well we are about to get started with programming in c#. There will be no coding yet, but first we need to make sure we have our computers set up to write and compile our code. I will assume you are using a windows machine for this.

You can have many different editors. For c# I suggest getting the visual c# express edition. This is free and makes building projects easy. You can download it here http://www.microsoft.com/express/Windows/

If you are a student of an accredited school, you can go to https://www.dreamspark.com/ and get the professional version of visual studio 2010 and 2008.

If you want just a simple text editor with syntax highlighting I suggest notepad++ http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
this can be useful if you want to look at example code as it highlights syntax and all that good stuff.

These are sometimes refereed to as IDEs. (integrated development environments).

Just download what you want and install. If you want to customize anything you can, I usually stick with the defaults, and make adjustments later when I need to.

If you are unfamiliar with anything I mentioned here, ask me in the comments and I will explain better. I will also go more in depth into terms later on.

See you soon.

12 comments:

  1. I'm doing some C-lite programming myself. It's quite a stepup from Basic, but it's a lot more fun (and a lot less limiting).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whats the main difference between C# and C++??

    ReplyDelete
  3. The syntax is kinda different and c# is more class structured. c++ is more powerful if you know what you are doing, but it can also be much more confusing. c# is more for windows programming and c++ is more multi system.

    But when it comes down to it, they are both very useful programming languages

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully you'll make a few tutorials on scripting languages! I'd love to refresh my perl

    ReplyDelete
  5. What language do they use to develop most graphics engines?

    ReplyDelete
  6. They mostly use c++ to develop a graphics engine. Source is all done in c++

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been looking for a guide like this! Kudos sir, many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blog is going to be really useful, I've been wanting to learn this stuff for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely following you! I've been trying to look for a good source of knowledge on the C# front, but never seem to be able to get into it past the beginner stage. Anyway, High hopes!

    ReplyDelete